Friday, October 28, 2022

The Screaming Bean is a Dream Come True

Every dream starts with a small beginning. Mine has been to own and run a coffee shop. And not just any ol' coffee shop, but one that provides an intrinsic sense of fulfillment for the employees. A company culture with a single mission: "Where Community Happens." A coffee shop that impacts the community by helping local fund raisers and charities. Basically a coffee shop that defines Main Street, not Wall Street.

It is mainly about connecting and impacting people. A coffee shop is just the bridge to connection.

With a full service espresso bar, the goal is to offer craft coffee -- not just drip coffee that is commonly available throughout Harford County. (Yes, there is a difference.)

If this comes as a surprise to you, don't sweat. Opening a coffee shop has been in the research and planning stage for five years and only my close friends knew about this. Today I can go public with the news.

My wife and I were handed the lease contract a few days ago, which took months of negotiation to ensure we have a good contract, not a bad one. Now we go into the architectural stage, permits, trending, drainage and plumbing, more permits, contracts, hiring, inspections and more permits. But as mind-boggling as all that might sound, right now we are stepping into the biggest and most challenging phase of the project -- fund raising.

It is regrettable that Interest Rates are the highest in two decades because a business loan will be murder. No one likes to pay interest. (I know I don't.) But today we have crowdfunding -- an alternative funding that make dreams come true. As of yesterday I launched a Kickstarter to generate starting capital. The more money we raise, the less we have to borrow from the bank.

(Have no fear, this new business venture does not mean my present book projects will come to a halt.)


I have never asked a favor like this -- ever. Usually it is I doing the favors, whether it includes funding other people's book projects, donating money to people on Go Fund Me who are down on their luck, or helping to raise money for children with treatable cancer at the annual MANC convention. Why? Because I have always lived with the mantra to make the world a better place than it was when I woke up this morning. It is my hope The Screaming Bean will become a shining example of how local business can support the local community. 

So this is my time to ask for a favor. 

Please visit the Kickstarter link below and if you share that same belief, consider pledging. 
And help spread the word to your friends.
With sincere appreciation,
Martin