Friday, January 17, 2020

STEWART WRIGHT, RADIO HISTORIAN


Radio historian Stewart Wright passed away in November 2019, but it was not until this past month that we learned the sad news. A cartographer and geographic researcher by profession, who lived in Colorado, Stewart dedicated the majority of his retirement (24-7) devoted to researching old-time radio. “Stewart was one of the most diligent OTR historians and researchers of our era,” Jack French recalled. “He generously shared his data and research in articles in various OTR publications. He was a member of several clubs, including MWOTRC, SPERDVAC and the now-defunct OTR Club of Colorado. Stewart was a long-time resident of Colorado and had a vast collection of OTR printed materials, computer archives and audio copies.”

Stewart Wright was researching old-time radio programs for more than two decades and he published in findings in all forms. For SPERDVAC’s Radiogram, the first ever broadcast log for 21st PrecinctA Date with JudyHello AmericansThe Lineup and Rocky Jordan, to name a few. He published in spiral bound format extensive documentation on radio’s Gunsmokeand Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar, and contributed greatly to Radio Rides the Range (2014, McFarland Publishing).

Front Row: Roger Hohenbrink, Andrew Steinberg, Stewart Wright, Ryan Ellett
Back Row: Archie Hunter, Jim Beshires, and someone identified as Phlipper376


Jim Cox recounted a story about Stewart’s dedication to preserving the arts, which best sums up the contribution he left behind. “It was my happy discovery that Stewart looked out for his fellow man and if one had a need he was ‘all in’ wherever he could contribute. I know he helped me on many an article and in my digging for some of my published books. I could never have anticipated what he did for me the summer I spent a few weeks at the University of Wyoming in Laramie nevertheless. It was around the turn of the century and I had told Stew I was researching Mr. Keen, Tracer of Lost Persons in view of a book. I had learned that all of the Keen scripts were housed in Laramie. Strictly on his own, without my saying more, Stew responded that he was maybe within 4 hours or so of Laramie, residing in a Denver suburb, and he had the time and interest to devote to helping me in some practical way with my mission… We were not allowed to remove anything in those collections from the vast facility provided but the archivists designated two copy machines to us and daily, for eight or nine hours per day, Stewart and I ran those machines photocopying reams and reams of material that would be a boon to me once I had it shipped back to Louisville. Stew never complained once but used the time he was there to assist me in every way he possibly could. What he did for me at Laramie is an example of his ‘giving nature’ and I’m aware that I was just one OTR enthusiast who benefited from Stew’s unselfish service throughout his life.”

“All of us have suffered a loss in the passing of this diligent researcher whose work was respected and widely appreciated, and who used his talents to assist his fellow man,” Jim Cox summed aptly. “When people like Stew depart, they are never replaced. Those of us who knew him are better off because we did.”